The 2021 Iowa Hunger Summit will take place as a day-long virtual event
Wednesday, September 1
Thank you for your interest in organizing a Breakout Session at the 2021 Iowa Hunger Summit. At this time, we are no longer accepting applications, but you are encouraged to connect further with Madeline Goebel, Director of Community Outreach via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Breakout sessions provide an opportunity for attendees to engage in in-depth conversations with initiatives working to comprehensively address food security while centering the social, political, and environmental determinants that allow hunger to persist in our communities. The goal of Breakout Sessions is to share tangible tools and action items to further engage with Iowa’s unique communities.
The World Food Prize Foundation and the Iowa Hunger Summit recognize that hunger is an intersectional issue and is inextricably linked to social structures in the social, political, and economic landscape in which we all live. This being said, we are committed to centering conversations on hunger around the inequities that exist within housing, race, gender, wealth gaps, education, policy + government, and more.
We are excited to work directly with our partners to cultivate these sessions and we encourage organizers to think creatively and intentionally while planning their Breakout Sessions. In crafting your submission, we encourage applicants to focus on the content, as the details can be confirmed throughout the planning process.
Logistics + Format
- Breakout Sessions are 50-minute virtual engagements that will take place during the afternoon of the Iowa Hunger Summit
- We ask that organizers allow for ample time for participants to ask questions during the breakout session
- For organizations who are submitting multiple proposals, please submit each proposal separately
- Breakout Session applications for the 2021 Iowa Hunger Summit will close on July 15, 2021
- Applicants will be notified of the status of their application by August 1, 2021, via the email provided on their submitted form
- All submissions for Breakout Sessions must be submitted through the 2021 Breakout Session Application Form
- The format is flexible and will depend on the session organizer working in collaboration with Summit organizers. This could include:
- Panel discussion
- Keynote with or without a Q+A session
- Discussion-based activities
- Project / Report presentation
- Other formats are welcomed and encouraged
As in past years, collaboration between organizations, initiatives, and coalitions is highly encouraged. Please note in your application if you are open to collaboration with other applicants who have submitted applications that are similar or complementary.
Topics + Criteria
Please note that the below topics are merely suggestions provided to help guide applicant organizations. All topics regarding the alleviation of hunger and food insecurity are welcomed. While many are experiencing relief from the epidemic, COVID-19 and the effects of the pandemic continue to be felt. In light of this reality, we invite organizers to tie these topics into breakout sessions as applicable.
Attendees of the Summit include representatives from community organizations, social agencies, state and local government, churches and religious communities, schools and universities, and individuals looking for ways to be further involved in their communities and those around the world.
|Application Deadline||July 15, 2021|
|Applicants Notified||August 1, 2021|
|2021 Iowa Hunger Summit||September 1, 2021|