Check out highlights from past Iowa Hunger Summits
Iowa Hunger Summit History Timeline:
- The World Food Prize International Symposium features a panel session on hunger in Iowa and across America with the leaders of Bread for the World, America's Second Harvest and MAZON, the Jewish Response to Hunger.
- World Food Prize Laureate, Dr. M.S. Swaminathan remarks to Ambassador Quinn that, "I did not know that there was hunger in America." The idea for the Iowa Hunger Summit was planted.
- At World Food Prize President Ambassador Kenneth Quinn's initiative, Governor Tom Vilsack and former Governor Robert D. Ray and Terry E. Branstad authored an article in the Des Moines Register calling for the establishment of an Iowa Hunger Summit and committed themselves to serving as Honorary Founding Co-Chairs.
- The World Food Prize announces the establishment of The Iowa Hunger Summit.
- October 16, 2007: The first annual Iowa Hunger Summit is held with Dr. Norman Borlaug being honored with a proclamation by new Governor Chet Culver and the participation of former Governor Ray, Branstad and Vilsack.
- Future World Food Prize Laureate David Beckmann delivers the keynote address.
- The World Food Prize releases the numbers on monetary donations, food collection and volunteer hours devoted by Iowans to battling hunger in Iowa and abroad.
- October 14, 2008: The second annual Iowa Hunger Summit is hosted by The World Food Prize.
- Discussions include the impact of hunger on children and efforts to reduce hunger and improve nutrition for children and families.
- Total numbers of monetary donations, food collections and volunteer hours committed to battling hunger show an increase over the 2006-07 numbers.
- October 13, 2009: The third annual Iowa Hunger Summit is hosted by The World Food Prize
- Feeding America President & CEO Vicki Escarra delivers the keynote address.
- The USDA holds a special listening session seeking ideas to accomplish President Obama’s pledge to end hunger among U.S. children by 2015.
- October 12, 2010: The fourth annual Iowa Hunger Summit is hosted by The World Food Prize
- Ambassador Tony Hall, director of the Alliance to End Hunger, addresses attendees as the keynote speaker.
- The numbers for monetary donations, food collections and volunteer hours to fight hunger reach the highest recorded numbers.
- October 11, 2011: The fifth annual Iowa Hunger Summit is hosted by The World Food Prize
- Mr. Tom Arnold from Ireland, CEO of Concern Worldwide, delivers the keynote address.
- Iowa's contributions to the global fight against hunger reached a record $12.1 million between October 2011 and October 2011.
- October 16, 2012: The sixth annual Iowa Hunger Summit is hosted by The World Food Prize
- Howard Buffett, President of the Howard G. Buffett Foundation, and Jo Ann Jenkins, President of the AARP Foundation deliver keynote addresses
- Ambassador Quinn, President of The World Food Prize Foundation announces the launch of the Iowa Hunger Directory, a new comprehensive platform for engaging organizations and individuals across Iowa in the fight against hunger
- October 15, 2013: The seventh annual Iowa Hunger Summit is hosted by The World Food Prize
- Magnus MacFarlane-Barrow, OBE, founder and CEO, Mary's Meals in Scotland, delivers the keynote address
- Ambassador Quinn, President of The World Food Prize Foundation, awards the inaugural Robert D. Ray Iowa SHARES Humanitarian Award to Lucille Morgan Wilson, outgoing organizer of the Des Moines Area Hunger Hike
- Over 400 Iowans package meals at the Iowa Hunger Fight, presented by DuPont Pioneer and Meals from the Heartland
- October 14, 2014: The eighth annual Iowa Hunger Summit is hosted by The World Food Prize
- Bishop Richard E. Pates and Mr. Dennis Dimick, Executive Editor of National Geographic, deliver keynote addresses
- The Robert D. Ray Iowa SHARES Award is presented to Merry Fredrick, former Executive Director of Self-Help International
- October 13, 2015: The ninth annual Iowa Hunger Summit is hosted by The World Food Prize
- The launch of the Vote to End Hunger Campaign is organized by Bread for the World
- Mr. Raymond Offenheiser, President, Oxfam America, delivers Keynote Address - Beyond Seeds, Soil, and Tractors: Empowering a Food Secure World
- Reverend Russ Melby, a long-time Iowa organizer of Church World Service CROP Hunger Walks, is presented the Robert D. Ray Iowa SHARES Award
- October 10, 2016: The tenth annual Iowa Hunger Summit is hosted by The World Food Prize
- Roger Thurow, Senior Fellow for Global Agriculture and Food Policy, The Chicago Council on Global Affairs, and author of The First 1,000 Days: A Critical Time for Mothers and Children – And The World, addresses attendees as the Keynote Speaker
- Governor Terry Branstad and Ambassador Quinn, President of The World Food Prize Foundation, presented the Robert D. Ray Iowa SHARES Award to Reverend Joan Fumetti and Ron De Weerd for their leadership role in building the Iowa Foods Resource Bank program
- October 16, 2017: The eleventh annual Iowa Hunger Summit is hosted by The World Food Prize
- Diana Aviv, Chief Executive Officer for Feeding America, delivers the keynote address
- Governor Kim Reynolds reads the official proclamation declaring October 16th as Norman E. Borlaug/World Food Prize Day in Iowa
- The Robert D. Ray Iowa SHARES Award is presented to The Most Reverend Bishop Richard E. Pates for his leadership in confronting hunger at home and abroad and building international understanding as Chairman of the Committee on International Justice & Peace of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops